Purpose of Position:
The Environmental Specialist supports the facility in developing both short and long term improvement strategies and coaches all team members on environmental issues. Ensures the proper management of the environmental processes and provides feedback on strengths and focus areas to the Texas Senior Management Team and Department Managers. The Environmental Specialist will develop and facilitate all required environmental and Safety training topics.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
• Developing and maintaining management information systems which
o Maintain TCEQ Air Permit requirements.
o Be well versed in Title V, NSR, VEEC, and PBR preparations, amendments and alterations
o Assist with compliance visits and completing emissions inventories
o Review and negotiate air permit conditions with regulatory agencies
o Provide guidance and documents to the site for management of compliance with air permits.
• Maintain Wastewater Permit requirements and reporting.
• Updating and delivering employee training programs related to hazardous materials and industrial waste.
• Maintaining accurate records related to chemical inventories, complaint investigations, and shipments of hazardous and industrial wastes. Keeping informed of current and proposed regulations related to program areas assigned.
• Maintaining of all waste profiles with waste contractor
• Maintaining waste stream inventory and arranging for transportation to disposal sites. Recommending and coordinating the development of programs required by local, State and Federal authorities to comply with hazardous materials regulations.
• Facility coordination with regulatory agencies in regard to industrial/hazardous waste (IHW) materials.
• Disseminating Right-to-Know, GHS, and SDS information.
• Maintaining of all SDS into “Share Drive” and SDS Database
• Ensuring TCEQ, TRI, Tier II, SW3P, SPCC, and Annual Waste summary reports are properly completed as required.
• Staying abreast of new regulations pertaining to environmental reporting and conveying changes to the Senior Management Team.
• Utilizing spreadsheets and other tools for reporting to enhance consistency across plant operations (i.e. spreadsheets, methodologies, and emission calculation techniques, etc.); and actively managing program to close gaps identified by site audits.
Perform Department Management:
• Plan and implement systems that perform the work and fulfill the mission and the goals of the department efficiently and effectively.
• Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
• Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
• Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operation of the department.
• Manage the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
• Communicate regularly as a member of a multi-disciplinary team to stakeholders within the organization.
• Acts as a member of the plant leadership team
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
I.E- Environmental Specialist will have additional responsibilities in Facility Safety as well as day to day Environmental duties.
Perform Human Resources Management:
• Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the vision and values of the organization.
• Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
• Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided.
Education / Experience
• Bachelors in, Environmental Science, or related discipline.
• Minimum of 3 to 4 years of related environmental experience.
• Working knowledge of TX air quality regulations, Title V, NSR, PBR and compliance requirements, emission calculation procedures and air pollution control technologies.
• Multi-media environmental background (SW3P, SPCC, RCRA, TPDES, STEERS’s, etc.) a plus.
• Excellent written communication and oral communication skills required.
• HAZWOPER- 40 Hour
• DOT Hazardous Materials Transportation
• RCRA Hazardous Waste Management
• ISO 14001 implementation and certification.
• Preference will be given to a bilingugual candidate speaking both english and spanish
• Proficient in spreadsheets, word processing, SAP, and database software, including Microsoft Office
• Energetic, motivated individual, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to interact with professionals at all levels.
• Detail oriented, accurate, and possess good organizational skills.
• Skills to work on multiple projects and tasks are required.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Energetic, self-motivated, with a positive attitude and willingness to learn
• Strong interpersonal, leadership and training skills
• Usually work in an office, plant and lab environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
• Standard work week, but additionally will often work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities
• Domestic and International travel.