Position Overview: This position is responsible for brazing (bonding)/welding components to assemble metal parts as specified by layout, work order or blue prints using appropriate equipment.
Essential Job Functions
- Using hand torch brazes/welds components.
- Aligns and clamps work pieces together, using rule, square or template or sets up and places them in fixtures, jigs or vice.
- Cleans joints of work pieces, using wire brush or by dipping them into cleaning solution.
- Selects torch tip, flux and brazing alloy from data charts or work order.
- Connects hoses from torch to regulator valves and cylinders of oxygen and specified fuel gas, acetylene or natural.
- Turns valves to start flow of gasses, lights flame and adjusts pressure and mixture of gases to obtain desired color and size of flame.
- Brushes flux onto joint of work piece or dips braze rod into flux to prevent oxidation of metal.
- Guides torch and rod along joint or seam of work piece to heat to brazing temperature and melt braze alloy to bond work pieces together.
- Examines seam and re-braze defective joints.
Non-essential Job Functions
- Braze together broken parts and cover holes to repair leaks.
- Specialize in bonding parts with soft solder and be designated Solderer or Torch II.
- Melt and separate brazed joints, using hand torch or furnace, remove and straighten components and re-braze joint to repair misaligned or damaged assemblies and be designated Brazer, Repair and Salvage.
- Braze together seams of metal sheets, strips, screening, or wire cloth using torch mounted on manually guided crawler and be designated Brazer or Crawler Torch.
- Education/Experience: High School diploma, GED or equivalent and 2+ years experience brazing.
- Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visual acuity sufficient to differentiate minute seams and defects in welded pieces.
- Experience/familiarity with brazing/welding equipment.